top of page

Become 'Commercially Endorsed'

So, what is a Commercial Endorsement?

You may have completed a course such as a Level 2 or Advanced Powerboat, which is great to improve your skills, but to work on a boat that isn't operating just for pleasure, you need to be commercially endorsed. This essentially means you meet a certain standard. This standard is laid down by the MCA and RYA. 

Any boat that is being used for anything other than the private use of the owner, or a club, is said to be a commercial vessel. There are some other exceptions, but basically if you are earning money or the boat is earning money- its probably a commercial vessel and you may need to have an endorsement. 

To get yourself commercially endorsed, you will need the following-

  • A Qualification

The following certificates can receive the standard commercial endorsement:

Course completion certificates: 

-RYA Level 2 Powerboat Handling Certificate

-RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate (only if issued before 1 January 2005)  

-RYA Day Skipper practical course completion certificate supported by a Day Skipper shorebased course completion certificate

Certificates of competence:

-RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence

-RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence

-RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence

-RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence  

  • Professional Practices and Responsibilities certificate

An online course outlining therequirements of commercial vessels. This is available through us

  • An ML5 or ENG1 Medical

The ML5 medical can be completed by most GPs, just download this form and speak to your doctor. The ENG1 has to be completed by a doctor approved by the MCA. This level of medical is generally only required by those wishing to work further offshore. 

  • Sea Survival Certificate

This course can be taken through us, see the Sea Survival page for more details. 

  • RYA Marine Radio SRC Certificate or other acceptable GMDSS Marine Radio Operator's Certificate.

This course can be taken through us, see the VHF/SRC page for more details. 

Once you have completed the above courses, you can apply to have your certificate commercially endorsed by completing the form on the following link. 

If you need any more guidance about which certificate you need, or any advice, please just let us know. 

RYA Website - Commercial Endorsements

bottom of page